Lonafarnib (By mouth)
Helps reduce the risk of death in patients with Hutchinson-Gilford Progeria Syndrome (HGPS). Also treats rare genetic disorders called processing-deficient Progeroid Laminopathies.
ZokinvyThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to lonafarnib, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- Swallow the capsule whole with water. Do not chew it.
- If you cannot swallow the capsule whole, you may open it and mix the medicine with Ora Blend SF®, Ora-Plus®, orange juice, or applesauce. The mixture must be prepared fresh for each dose and taken within at least 10 minutes of mixing.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: If you miss a dose and it is 8 hours or more of your next scheduled dose, take it as soon as possible, and then go back to your regular schedule. If you miss a dose and it is less than 8 hours of your next scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with atorvastatin, ketoconazole, lovastatin, rifampin, or simvastatin.
- Do not use this medicine for 10 to 14 days before and 2 days after using midazolam.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how lonafarnib works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following medicines:
- Dabigatran, digoxin, fexofenadine, loperamide, omeprazole, ritonavir
- Do not eat grapefruit or Seville oranges while you are using this medicine. Do not mix this medicine with juice containing grapefruit or Seville oranges.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Kidney problems
- Eye or vision problems
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- This medicine could cause infertility. Talk with your doctor before using this medicine if you plan to have children.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, dizziness, nervousness, headache, slow, fast, or uneven heartbeat
- Bone or muscle pain
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Confusion, weakness, muscle twitching, trouble breathing, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Dark urine or pale stools, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, nausea or vomiting
- Fever, chills, cough, runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, body aches
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, decreased weight
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021