Influenza virus vaccine, adjuvanted (By injection)
Influenza Virus Vaccine, Adjuvanted (in-floo-EN-za VYE-rus VAX-een, AD-joo-van-ted)
Helps prevent infection with influenza (flu) virus.
Fluad 2020-2021 Formula, Fluad Quadrivalent 2020-2021 FormulaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This vaccine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to influenza virus vaccine or to egg protein, or from a previous dose of a flu shot.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you are using a medicine or treatment that weakens your immune system, including a steroid, radiation, or cancer treatment. This vaccine may not work as well if you are also using these medicines. However, your doctor may still want you to get the vaccine because it can give you some protection.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding or if you have a weak immune system.
- Tell your doctor if you ever had an unusual reaction to a flu shot, including Guillain-Barré syndrome.
- This flu vaccine may not protect everyone who receives it. This vaccine will not treat flu symptoms if you have already been infected with the virus.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Severe muscle weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint or muscle pain
- Redness, pain, swelling, soreness, or a lump where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021