Rimegepant (By mouth)
Treats acute migraine headaches with or without aura.
Nurtec ODTThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to rimegepant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- To use:
- Do not open the blister pack that contains the tablet until you are ready to take it.
- Make sure your hands are dry. Peel back the foil, then remove the tablet from the blister pack. Do not push the tablet through the foil.
- Place the tablet on or under your tongue where it will dissolve in seconds.
- Use rimegepant only when you have a migraine. This medicine is not used on a regular schedule.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how rimegepant works. Tell your doctor if you are using fluconazole, itraconazole, or rifampin.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- This medicine should be used only for classic or common migraine headaches. It will not work for any other kind of headache or pain.
- Using rimegepant alone or in combination with other migraine medicines for 15 or more days per month may lead to worsening of headache. You may keep a headache diary to record your headache frequency and drug use.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021