Sodium chloride (By injection)
Sodium Chloride (SOE-dee-um KLOR-ide)
Replenishes lost water and salt in your body. Also used to dilute medicines injected into your veins.
0.9% Sodium Chloride IV Flush, BD PosiFlush SF, Monoject Prefill Sodium Chloride, Monoject Sodium Chloride Flush Syringe, Sodium Chloride FreeflexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to sodium chloride, or if you have high sodium in the blood, or swelling or fluid retention.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how sodium chloride works. Tell your doctor if you are using a steroid medicine (including cortisone, dexamethasone, prednisolone, prednisone).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, heart failure, or heart or blood vessel problems. Tell your doctor if you are having surgery.
- This medicine may cause fluid retention (including pulmonary edema).
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, irregular heartbeat, coughing up blood
- Difficult, fast, noisy breathing
- Fever, headache, nausea, vomiting
- Rapid weight gain. swelling in the legs and ankles
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Confusion, weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Redness, pain, itching, or swelling in the area where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 11/6/2020