Magnesium citrate (By mouth)
Magnesium Citrate (mag-NEE-zee-um SIT-rate)
Treats constipation, and empties the bowel before surgery or other medical procedures.
Citroma, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Magnesium Citrate, GoodSense magnesium citrate, Health Mart Magnesium Citrate, Leader Magnesium Citrate, Quality Choice Magnesium Citrate, Sunmark Magnesium Citrate, Swan CitromaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to a laxative product of this type, or if you have heart block or severe kidney disease.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much of this medicine to take and how often. Do not take more medicine or take it more often than your doctor tells you to.
- If you are using this medicine without a prescription, follow the instructions on the medicine label. Do not use this medicine for longer than 1 week unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- It is best to take this medicine on an empty stomach. You may chill the medicine in the refrigerator to make it taste better.
- Measure the medicine with a marked measuring spoon or medicine cup.
If a dose is missed:
- If you miss a dose or forget to take your medicine, take it as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then to take the medicine and skip the missed dose.
- Do not use extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature in a closed container, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children and never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using blood thinners (Coumadin®), ciprofloxacin (Cipro®), digoxin (Lanoxin®), etidronate (Didronel®), sodium polystyrene sulfonate (Kayexalate®, Kionex®), or tetracycline.
- Tell your doctor if you are on a low-salt diet.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a bowel obstruction, a colostomy, or an ileostomy.
- Stop using the medicine and call your doctor if you have severe stomach cramps, nausea, vomiting, or blood in your stools.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Confusion, weakness, irregular heartbeat, shortness of breath
- Lightheadedness or fainting
- Severe diarrhea
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Mild diarrhea or stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021