Cromolyn (Into the nose)
Treats a stuffy or runny nose caused by hay fever or other allergies.
NasalcromThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to cromolyn.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to use and how often. If you buy this medicine without a doctor's prescription, read and follow the instructions that come with the medicine.
- You should not use the medicine if the safety seal on the bottle is broken or missing.
- It is best to start using the spray about 1 week before you are in contact with what causes your allergies. Use the spray every day, while you are in contact with the cause of your allergies, even if you do not have symptoms.
- You can use one spray in each nostril 3-to-4 times each day (about every 4-to-6 hours). You should not use the spray more than 6 times each day.
- Blow your nose before using the medicine to clear out your nostrils.
- Take the cap and safety clip off of the bottle. If this is the first time you have used the spray, you will need to prime the spray pump. Put your thumb on the bottom of the bottle and your index and middle fingers on the 2 flaps below the nozzle. Push up with your thumb, spraying into the air, about 5 times or until a fine mist sprays from the bottle. You won't need to prime the pump again unless you have not used the medicine for 14 days or more. Then you may need to prime the pump again with 2 sprays.
- Hold the bottle upright and put the tip of the nozzle inside the nostril. Spray upward and breathe in through your nose.
- Use the spray in your other nostril by following these same steps. Wipe the nozzle and put the cap and safety clip back on the bottle when you are through.
- You may need to use this medicine for 1-to-2 weeks before you feel its full effects.
If a dose is missed:
- Take the missed dose as soon as possible.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next regular dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine at room temperature away from direct light.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
- Do not share this bottle with anyone else.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Check with your doctor before using this medicine if you have asthma, liver or kidney disease.
- Do not give this medicine to children under 6 years of age, unless your child's doctor has ordered it.
- Talk with your doctor if the medicine has not helped after 2 weeks or if you still need to use the medicine after 12 weeks.
- Call your doctor if you have sinus pain, a fever, or green or yellow nasal discharge. You may have an infection. Cromolyn will not treat an infection.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Hives or severe rash
- Swelling in your face, tongue, or throat
- Wheezing or trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Bad taste in the mouth or postnasal drip
- Burning, stinging, or irritation in the nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021