Difelikefalin (By injection)
Treats skin itching caused by chronic kidney disease in patients who are on dialysis.
KorsuvaThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to difelikefalin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. It is usually given at the end of each dialysis treatment.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
- This medicine may make you dizzy, drowsy, or less alert than you are normally. It may also cause confusion, mental changes, or problems with walking, which may lead to falls. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Anxiety, depression, nightmares
- Confusion, weakness, uneven heartbeat, trouble breathing, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Problems with walking or balance
- Sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/5/2022