Cholera vaccine, live (By mouth)
Cholera Vaccine, Live (KOL-er-a VAX-een, lyve)
VaxchoraThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This vaccine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to cholera vaccine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this vaccine. It is given by mouth as a single dose for a minimum of 10 days before potential exposure to cholera.
- Drink the full contents of the cup within 15 minutes of mixing the vaccine.
- Do not eat or drink for 60 minutes before or after receiving this vaccine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this vaccine works. Tell your doctor if you are receiving medicine that may weaken the immune system, including steroids, cancer medicines, or radiation treatment.
- If you are using antibiotics, tell your doctor before receiving this vaccine. You should not receive antibiotics given by mouth or by injection within 14 days of getting this vaccine.
- If you are using chloroquine, take this vaccine at least 10 days before using it.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a weak immune system.
- Tell your doctor if you spend time with a person who has an immune system problem or is getting cancer medicines. Your doctor may recommend ways (including proper hand washing after using the bathroom or before preparing or handling food) to help prevent the spread of vaccine virus to other people.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022