Measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella virus vaccine, live (By injection)
Measles Virus Vaccine, Live (MEE-zuls VYE-rus VAX-een, lyve), Mumps Virus Vaccine, Live (mumps VYE-rus VAX-een, lyve), Rubella Virus Vaccine, Live (roo-BELL-a VYE-rus VAX-een, lyve), Varicella Virus Vaccine, Live (var-i-SEL-a VYE-rus VAX-een, lyve)
Prevents infection by measles (rubeola), mumps, rubella (German measles), and varicella (chickenpox) viruses.
ProQuadThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This vaccine is not right for everyone. Your child should not receive this vaccine if he or she had an allergic reaction to measles, mumps, rubella, or varicella vaccine, or to neomycin or gelatin. A child with a high fever or a blood or bone marrow disorder (including leukemia or lymphoma) should not be given this vaccine. Tell the doctor if your child or anyone in the family has an immune system problem. This vaccine should not be given to a woman who is pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot under your skin. The shot is usually given in the upper arm or thigh.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Children usually receive one shot between 12 and 15 months of age and a second shot between 4 and 6 years of age.
- Your child may receive other vaccines at the same time as this one.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: It is important to receive this vaccine at the proper time. Try to keep all scheduled appointments. If you must cancel, make another appointment as soon as possible.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Your child should not receive this vaccine if he or she is using a high-dose steroid medicine.
- Some medicines can affect how this vaccine works. Tell the doctor if your child has recently received any of the following:
- Aspirin or salicylic acid
- Immune globulin
- Any treatment that weakens the immune system, including cancer medicine, radiation treatment, or a steroid
- Your child should not take aspirin or medicines that contain aspirin (including cold medicines) for 6 weeks after receiving this vaccine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Do not become pregnant for 3 months after receiving this vaccine without first checking with your doctor. There is a chance that this vaccine may cause problems during pregnancy.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding.
- Tell the doctor if your child has cancer, HIV infection, tuberculosis, seizures, bleeding disorder, high fevers, an egg allergy, or a history of a brain injury. Tell the doctor if your child recently had a blood or plasma transfusion.
- This vaccine may cause a fever, which can lead to a seizure, although this is rare.
- Your child should avoid close contact with pregnant women, newborn babies, and anyone with a weak immune system for 6 weeks after receiving this vaccine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- High fever (over 102 degrees F)
- Skin rash that looks like chickenpox or measles
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Low fever
- Mild burning, pain, swelling, or redness where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/5/2022