Paricalcitol (By mouth)
Treats and prevents hyperparathyroidism (overactive parathyroid glands) in patients with chronic kidney disease who are on dialysis.
ZemplarThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to paricalcitol, or if you have high levels of calcium or vitamin D in your blood.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid Filled Capsule
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Carefully follow your doctor's instructions about any special diet and use of vitamin and mineral supplements.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
- Some foods and medicines can affect how paricalcitol works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Boceprevir, cholestyramine, clarithromycin, conivaptan, digoxin, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, lopinavir/ritonavir, mibefradil, mineral oil, nefazodone, nelfinavir, posaconazole, ritonavir, saquinavir, telaprevir, telithromycin, voriconazole
- Diuretic (water pill)
- Do not use vitamin D, phosphate, or calcium supplements, or antacids or binders containing aluminum without asking your doctor.
- Your doctor may tell you to limit your dietary intake of phosphate. Foods that are high in phosphate include beans, beer, chocolate, cheese, cola soft drinks, ice cream, milk, nuts, peas, whole grain products, and yogurt.
- Do not eat grapefruit or drink grapefruit juice while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, bone disease, heart disease, heart rhythm problems (such as arrhythmia), or seizures.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Hypercalcemia (high levels of calcium in the blood)
- Increase aluminum in the blood and may cause harm to your bones
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Feeling tired, trouble thinking clearly, constipation, nausea, vomiting
- Increase in how much or how often you urinate, increase thirst
- Sudden weight loss or loss of appetite, diarrhea
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Eye pain, swelling of the eyes
- Stuffy or runny nose
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Last Updated: 8/5/2022