Pentetate calcium trisodium (By breathing)
Pentetate Calcium Trisodium (PEN-te-tate KAL-see-um trye-SOE-dee-um)
Removes harmful substances such as plutonium, americium, or curium from your body.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, there is no reason why you should not receive this medicine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- You will use this medicine with an inhaler device called a nebulizer. The nebulizer turns the medicine into a fine mist that you breathe in through your mouth and to your lungs. Your caregiver will show you how to use your nebulizer.
- Drink extra fluids so you will pass more urine while you are using this medicine. This will prevent the exposure of your bladder from the risks of radiation.
- Your doctor may want you to take mineral supplements while you are receiving this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have asthma, kidney disease, or hemochromatosis (iron-storage disease).
- While you are receiving this medicine, fluids from your body may contain radioactive material that can be harmful to others. Body fluids include urine, breast milk, mucus (phlegm from coughing), and stools. Talk with your doctor about the precautions you need to take to protect yourself and others.
- Your doctor will need to check your blood, stools, or urine while you are receiving this medicine and possibly for several weeks afterward. Be sure to keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Lightheadedness or headache.
- Metallic taste in your mouth.
- Mild diarrhea or nausea.
- Mild skin rash.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Last Updated: 8/5/2022