Glycerin (Into the rectum)
Treats occasional constipation by making bowel movements regular. This medicine is a laxative.
Fleet Glycerin Suppositories, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Glycerin, Leader Children's Glycerin Suppositories, Leader Glycerin Suppositories, Pedia-Lax Glycerin Suppositories, Stratuscare, Sunmark Laxative SuppositoriesThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to glycerin. You should not use this medicine if you have rectal bleeding.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Never take rectal suppositories by mouth.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine. Remove the foil or wrapper from the suppository before inserting it.
- Lie on your left side with your left leg straight or slightly bent, and your right knee bent upward. Gently push the pointed end of the suppository into the rectum about 1 inch.
- Keep lying down for about 15 minutes to keep the suppository from coming out before it melts. Then, wash your hands again.
- This medicine should cause you to have a bowel movement within 15 minutes to 1 hour.
If a dose is missed:
- Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
- You may store the suppositories in the refrigerator, but do not freeze them.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine applicator(s), containers, and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have been using any other laxative for more than 1 week prior to using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or if you have had a sudden change in bowel habits lasting longer than 2 weeks.
- If you do not have a bowel movement after using this medicine, stop using it and talk to your doctor.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- This medicine should not be used for longer than one week.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bleeding from your rectum.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Irritation or burning pain in your rectal area.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and chrome browser.