Eye wash (Into the eye)
Used to wash out eyes to relieve irritation, discomfort, or itching, or to remove a chemical or foreign material from the eye.
Advanced Eye Relief, BSS Plus, Balanced Salt Solution, Collyrium For Fresh Eyes, Eye Clean, Eye Wash, Eye-Cept Rewetting Drops, Eye-Stream, Leader Eye Wash, Mediwash Eye Irrigant, OcuFresh Eye Wash, Optigene Eye Wash, Sterile Eye WashThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to any of the ingredients in the eye wash you are using. Be sure to read the label. Do not use if the liquid changes color or becomes cloudy.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine. Remove contact lenses before using this medicine. Shake the bottle well just before each use.
- To use right out of the bottle: Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket. Hold the bottle tip close to your eye with the other hand. Drop the correct number of drops into your eye, or squeeze the bottle to direct a steady of stream into the eye.
- To use with an eye cup: Rinse the eye cup with the eye wash before you use it. Do not let anything else touch the rim and the inside of the eye cup. Fill the cup half full of eye wash. Put the cup over the eye to be rinsed. Press the cup tightly to your skin to keep the liquid from leaking out. Tilt your head back and open your eye wide. Move your eye from side to side and up and down to allow the liquid to wash all parts of the eye.
- Do not rinse or wipe the bottle tip or allow it to touch anything, including your eye. Put the cap on the bottle right away.
If a dose is missed:
- This medicine is to be used when needed. Follow the directions on the label.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep the bottle upright and tightly closed when you are not using it.Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of the used medicine container and any leftover medicine after you have finished your treatment. You will also need to throw away old medicine after the expiration date has passed.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- See a doctor right away if you have an open wound in or near your eye, if your eye was burned with a chemical, or if you have a foreign object in your eye that you cannot rinse out.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Changes in vision.
- Eye pain, redness, or irritation that is not relieved by using this product.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- New or worsening eye symptoms.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022