Vitamin combination, pediatric formula (By mouth)
Multivitamins are given to children who need more vitamins in their diet.
Airborne Kids, Alive! Gummies, Animal Shapes, Animal Shapes Plus Iron, AquADEKs, Bugs Bunny Complete, Children's Cerovite Jr., Children's Chewable Multivitamins, Children's Chewable Vitalets, Children's Chewable Vitamins + Iron, Children's Chewable Vitamins With Iron, Children's Chewable Vite, Children's Gummy Dinos, Children's Gummy Vitamins & Minerals, ChoiceFulThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:
Your child should not use this medicine if he has had an allergic reaction to any single vitamin or multivitamin.
How to Use This Medicine:
Chewable Tablet, Tablet, Liquid
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Your child needs to chew the chewable tablet before swallowing. Drink one cup (8 ounces) of liquid to help swallow the tablet after chewing.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup. The oral liquid may be mixed with food.
If a dose is missed:
- It is generally not harmful to miss a dose of a multivitamin. Use it as soon as you remember. Do not use two doses at one time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist, doctor, or health caregiver about the best way to dispose of any outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Talk with your child's doctor before using a multivitamin if your child is also using a blood thinner such as aspirin or Coumadin®.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if your child has heart disease, liver disease, kidney stones, or an overactive thyroid gland. Make sure your doctor knows if your child has a bleeding disorder or a condition called sarcoidosis.
- Your child should not use more of a multivitamin than your doctor has ordered or more than the package label recommends. Some vitamins can build up in the body and can be harmful.
- This medicine might contain phenylalanine (aspartame). This is only a concern if your child has a disorder called phenylketonuria (a problem with amino acids). If your child has this condition, talk to your doctor before using this medicine.
- Multivitamins can turn urine bright yellow and stools a darker color. This is normal.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. You may need to stop using this medicine several days before you have surgery or medical tests.
- You should not use certain brands of this medicine if you have kidney disease or are on dialysis, because they may harm your kidneys. Ask your caregiver what brands are best for you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Bloody diarrhea.
- Severe stomach pain, or vomiting.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation, diarrhea.
- Loss of appetite, bad taste in the mouth.
- Nausea, heartburn, or upset stomach.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088Last Updated:
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
All rights reserved
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and chrome browser.