Dantrolene (By injection)
Dantrolene Sodium (DAN-troe-leen SOE-dee-um)
Treats or prevents malignant hyperthermia (dangerous increase in body temperature). This medicine is a skeletal muscle relaxant.
Dantrium, Revonto, RyanodexThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to dantrolene.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how dantrolene works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Clofibrate, tolbutamide, warfarin
- Medicine to lower blood pressure (including verapamil or CCBs)
- Medicine to treat anxiety or mental illness
- Other medicine that relaxes the muscle (including tranquilizers)
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, or if you have kidney disease or liver disease.
- Your doctor may tell you to stop breastfeeding, and pump and discard your breast milk for at least 3 days after you receive this medicine.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Muscle weakness
- Lung or breathing problems
- Trouble swallowing
- This medicine may make you lightheaded, drowsy, or dizzy. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous if you are not alert for at least 48 hours after you receive this medicine.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Cough, chest pain, trouble breathing
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, drowsiness
- Muscle weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Changes in skin color, pain, tenderness, or swelling of the foot or leg
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/5/2022