Dopamine (By injection)
Treats symptoms of shock by improving blood flow.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have pheochromocytoma (tumor of the adrenal gland), or uncontrolled heart rhythm problems. You should not use this medicine if you have used an MAO inhibitor such as selegeline (Eldepryl®), Marplan®, Nardil®, or Parnate® within the past 14 days.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using entacapone (Comtan®), ergotamine (Ergomar®), fosphenytoin (Cerebyx®), haloperidol (Haldol®), linezolid (Zyvox®), or phenytoin (Dilantin®).
- Tell your doctor if you also use diuretics or "water pills" (such as furosemide, HCTZ, Hyzaar®), blood pressure medicine (such as atenolol, metoprolol, propranolol, timolol, doxazosin, terazosin, Cozaar®, Hyzaar®, Toprol®), or medicine for depression (such as amitriptyline, nortriptyline, Norpramin®, Vivactil®).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breast feeding, or if you have diabetes, asthma, or allergies. Tell your doctor if you have circulation problems such Raynaud's disease or Buerger's disease.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Chest pain, fast or uneven heartbeats.
- Lightheadedness or fainting.
- Trouble breathing or shallow breathing.
- Weak pulse, slow heartbeats.
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, anxiety.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Tingling feeling, goosebumps, or "adrenalin rush."
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/19/2020