Phytonadione (By mouth)
Prevents bleeding problems by helping blood clot better.
K1-1000, MephytonThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use this medicine if you had an allergic reaction to phytonadione or vitamin K.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Your doctor will give you bile salt supplements together with this medicine. Your doctor may also give you plasma or other blood products in addition to vitamin K if your bleeding is severe.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using a blood thinner (including warfarin), medicine to treat an infection, or salicylates.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blue lips, skin, or fingernails
- Chest pain, sudden headache, trouble breathing, pain in your leg
- Fast, weak pulse
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Change in sense of taste
- Increased sweating
- Warmth or redness in your face, neck, arms, or upper chest
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/5/2022