Vancomycin (By injection)
Treats infections. Belongs to a class of drugs called antibiotics.
PremierPro Rx Vancomycin HClThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to vancomycin, corn, or corn products.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Amphotericin B, bacitracin, polymyxin B, cisplatin, colistin, viomycin
- Aminoglycoside antibiotic (including amikacin, gentamicin, streptomycin)
- Diuretic (water pill)
- NSAID pain or arthritis medicine (including aspirin, celecoxib, diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen)
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, congestive heart failure, or hearing problems. Tell your doctor if you have a restricted sodium intake.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Infusion reactions
- Kidney damage
- Hearing loss
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Decrease in how much or how often you urinate, rapid weight gain, swelling of your hands, ankles, or feet
- Diarrhea that may contain blood
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Ringing in the ears or trouble hearing
- Swelling, pain, or redness under your skin where the needle is placed
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/10/2021