Maralixibat (By mouth)
Treats skin itching in patients with Alagille syndrome (ALGS).
LivmarliThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to maralixibat
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with the provided dosing dispenser.
- Take this medicine at least 30 minutes before the first meal of the day.
- Check the liquid in the bottle. It should be clear to almost clear and colorless to light yellow. Do not use the medicine if the liquid is discolored, or has particles in it.
- Read and follow the patient instructions that come with this medicine. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Missed dose: If it is 12 hours or less, take it as soon as possible, and then go back to your regular schedule. If it is more than 12 hours, do not take an extra dose. Take the next dose at the regular scheduled time. Do not take extra medicine to make up for the missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Store this medicine with the cap on the bottle.
- Throw away any unused medicine 45 days after opening the bottle.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Take this medicine at least 4 hours before or 4 hours after using bile acid sequestrants (including cholestyramine, colesevelam, colestipol).
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease or fat-soluble vitamin (vitamins A, D, E, and K) deficiency.
- This medicine may cause the following problems
- Liver problems
- Stomach or bowel problems, including diarrhea, stomach pain, or vomiting
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Black, tarry stools, constipation, vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- Bone fractures
- Dark urine, pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Severe diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022