Plazomicin (By injection)
Treats complicated urinary tract infections, including pyelonephritis (kidney infection). This medicine is an aminoglycoside antibiotic.
ZemdriThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to plazomicin or similar medicines.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein. This medicine must be given slowly, so the needle will have to stay in place for at least 30 minutes.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: You must use this medicine on a fixed schedule. Call your doctor or pharmacist if you miss a dose.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, nerve or muscle problems (including myasthenia gravis), or a history of hearing problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Kidney problems
- Ear or hearing problems, which may be permanent
- This medicine can cause diarrhea. Call your doctor if the diarrhea becomes severe, does not stop, or is bloody. Do not take any medicine to stop diarrhea until you have talked to your doctor. Diarrhea can occur 2 months or more after you stop taking this medicine.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Bloody urine, change in how much or how often you urinate
- Dizziness, loss of balance or hearing, ringing or buzzing in the ears
- Severe diarrhea (watery or bloody)
- Severe muscle weakness, tiredness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Pain, swelling, or redness where the needle was placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022