Zoster vaccine recombinant, adjuvanted (By injection)
Zoster Vaccine Recombinant, Adjuvanted (ZOS-ter VAX-een ree-KOM-bi-nant, AD-joo-van-ted)
Prevents herpes zoster (shingles).
ShingrixThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to zoster vaccine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given. This medicine is given as a shot into one of your muscles.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: Call your doctor or pharmacist for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines may affect how zoster vaccine works. Tell your doctor if you are receiving inactivated influenza vaccine or medicine that can weaken your immune system.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have a weak immune system.
- This vaccine may increase your risk for nervous system problems, including Guillain-Barré syndrome.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Sudden numbness or weakness in your arms or legs
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Joint or muscle pain
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the shot was given
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/5/2022