Ombitasvir/paritaprevir/ritonavir (By mouth)
Ombitasvir (om-BIT-as-vir), Paritaprevir (par-i-TA-pre-vir), Ritonavir (rit-OH-na-vir)
Treats chronic hepatitis C infection.
Viekira PakThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to ombitasvir, paritaprevir, or ritonavir. Do not use it together with ribavirin if you are pregnant or your sexual partner is pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Make sure you understand how to use all of the medicines your doctor prescribed.
- It is best to take this medicine with food or milk.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Missed dose:
- Less than 12 hours: Take a dose as soon as you can.
- More than 12 hours: Skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the regular time.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use this medicine together with alfuzosin, atorvastatin, cisapride, colchicine, dronedarone, efavirenz, everolimus, lovastatin, lurasidone, oral midazolam, pimozide, ranolazine, rifampin, sildenafil, simvastatin, sirolimus, St John's wort, tacrolimus, triazolam, medicine to treat seizures (including carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin), or ergot medicines. Do not take medicine that contains estrogen (ethinyl estradiol), including birth control pills.
- Some medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are using any of the following:
- Alprazolam, buprenorphine/naloxone, carisoprodol, cyclobenzaprine, cyclosporine, diazepam, digoxin, fluticasone, furosemide, hydrocodone/acetaminophen, ketoconazole, omeprazole, pravastatin, quetiapine, salmeterol, or voriconazole
- Blood pressure medicine
- Cancer medicine
- Medicine to treat heart rhythm problem (including amiodarone, bepridil, disopyramide, flecainide, lidocaine, mexiletine, propafenone, quinidine)
- Medicine to treat HIV infection
- Steroid medicine
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Ribavirin may cause birth defects if either partner is using it during conception or pregnancy. Tell your doctor right away if you or your partner becomes pregnant. Avoid pregnancy during treatment and within 6 months of stopping treatment with Technivie with ribavirin. Follow all directions about birth control.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease (including hepatitis B) or HIV infection. Tell your doctor if you had a liver transplant.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Tiredness or weakness
- Trouble sleeping
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/2/2019