Menthol/methyl salicylate (On the skin)
Menthol (MEN-thol), Methyl Salicylate (METH-il sa-LIS-i-late)
Relieves minor pain caused by arthritis, backache, bruises, cramps, muscle strains, or sprain. This medicine is a topical analgesic.
AMPlify Relief MM, Arthritis Hot Pain Relief, Bengay Greaseless, Calypxo, Calypxo HP, Capasil, CareALL Muscle Rub, Castiva Cooling, Cold & Hot, DicloPR, Dr. Sheffield's Muscle Rub, Exigence, Golden Sunshine Herbal, Golden Sunshine Natural Herbal Pain Terminator, Good Neighbor Cold & Hot Therapy Pain ReliefThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you have had an allergic reaction to menthol, methyl salicylate, or wintergreen.
How to Use This Medicine:
Cream, Gel/Jelly, Lotion, Ointment, Stick
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get any of it in your eyes, nose, mouth, or vagina. Do not apply to wounds or broken, damaged, or irritated skin. Rinse it off right away if it does get on these areas.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- Apply a thin layer of the medicine to the affected area. Rub it in gently. Do not apply this medicine for more than 4 times a day.
- Do not bandage tightly, or apply heat (including heating pads) or a medicated patch to the treated skin area. Do not expose the treated skin area to direct sunlight.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Missed dose: Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you are allergic to aspirin or another salicylate medicine.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Blistering, burning, itching, pain, redness, or swelling of the skin where the medicine is applied
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022