Sodium hypochlorite (On the skin)
Sodium Hypochlorite (SOE-dee-um hye-poe-KLOR-ite)
Cleans skin and certain types of wounds to treat or prevent infection.
Dakin's, Dakin's Solution Full Strength, Dakin's Solution Half Strength, Dakin's Solution Quarter Strength, Di-Dak-Sol, H-Chlor 12, H-Chlor 12 Wound Therapy, H-Chlor 6, HyseptThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to sodium hypochlorite, or if you are sensitive to chlorine.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after you use this medicine.
- This medicine is for use on the skin only. Do not get it in your eyes, nose, or mouth.
- Pour on or apply this medicine to affected skin area. You may protect the surrounding intact skin with a moisture barrier ointment or skin sealant unless your doctor tells you otherwise.
- Follow your doctor's instructions about how to care for your wound before and after using this medicine.
If a dose is missed:
- Apply a dose as soon as you can. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and apply a regular dose. Do not apply extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
- Ask your pharmacist or doctor how to dispose of the medicine container and any leftover or expired medicine.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may bleach clothing.
- Do not use this medicine to treat a skin problem your doctor has not examined.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Redness, irritation, swelling, or pain on treated skin areas.
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/28/2020