Hydrogen peroxide (By mouth)
Hydrogen Peroxide (HYE-droe-jen per-OX-ide)
Treats canker sores, minor mouth wounds, and swollen gums.
Orajel Perioseptic, PeroxylThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is generally considered safe for most people. Talk to your doctor if you have concerns.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Place the liquid medicine in your mouth but do not swallow it. Swish the liquid around in your mouth for at least 1 minute, and then spit it out.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Do not swallow this medicine. If you swallow more than 2 teaspoons, call your doctor or a poison center right away.
- Supervise children while they use this medicine.
- Do not use this medicine for more than 7 days unless your doctor has told you to.
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2019