Basiliximab (By injection)
Prevents organ rejection after a kidney transplant.
SimulectThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to basiliximab.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other trained health professional will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blood in your urine or stools
- Change in how much or how often you urinate, pain or burning when you urinate
- Chest pain, fast or uneven heartbeat
- Confusion, or numbness and tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Diarrhea, vomiting, nausea, or stomach pain
- Dry mouth, increased thirst, muscle cramps, pale skin or lips
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, joint pain, or body aches
- Sores or white patches on your lips, mouth, or throat
- Swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet, rapid weight gain
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Dizziness, headache, tremors, muscle twitching, weakness, or pain
- Problems getting an erection
- Red eyes or vision problems
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2019