Secretin (By injection)
Used as part of a medical test of the pancreas and bowels.
ChirhostimThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to secretin, or if you have pancreatitis.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- You should not eat or drink for at least 12 to 15 hours before receiving this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how secretin works. Tell your doctor if you are also using an anticholinergic medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you are also using a stomach medicine, including a proton pump inhibitor or an H2 blocker. Do not take an H2 blocker at least 2 days before receiving this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have liver disease, inflammatory bowel disease, or have had bowel surgery. Tell your doctor if you drink alcohol regularly.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Slow heartbeat, lightheadedness or fainting
- Sudden or severe stomach pain
- Vomiting of blood
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022