Bacitracin (Into the eye)
Treats infections of your eyelid or cornea (surface of your eye).
BaciguentThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to bacitracin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Wash your hands with soap and water before and after using this medicine.
- Use a clean cotton ball or soft cloth to remove any scaling or crusting on your eyelids before you use the medicine.
- Lie down or tilt your head back. With your index finger, pull down the lower lid of your eye to form a pocket.
- To use the ointment: Hold the tip of the tube close to your eye with the other hand. Avoid touching the tip of the tube to your eye or finger. Squeeze a ribbon of ointment into the pocket between your lower lid and eyeball. Close your eyes for 1 to 2 minutes. Wipe the tip with a clean tissue and close the tube tightly. Keep the tube tightly closed when you are not using it.
- Do not use this medicine for longer than your doctor tells you to.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not use any other eyedrops or medicine in your eyes unless your doctor tells you to.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Increased redness, puffiness, or crusting of your eyelids
- Worsening eye discomfort or irritation
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/6/2020