Magnesium sulfate/dextrose premix (By injection)
Dextrose (DEX-trose), Magnesium Sulfate (mag-NEE-zee-um SUL-fate)
Prevents seizures in a pregnant woman with severe toxemia (eclampsia).
PremierPro Rx Magnesium Sulfate-DextroseThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not receive this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to magnesium sulfate, or if you have severe kidney disease or heart block (a problem with heart rhythm, sometimes requiring a pacemaker).
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose and tell you how often it should be given.
- An intravenous (in-tra-VEEN-us) or IV injection is given through a tube put in one of your veins, usually in your arm, wrist, hand, or sometimes in your chest.
- This medicine may need to be given slowly, sometimes over several hours.
- A nurse or other caregiver trained to give injections will give your treatment.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you are also using antibiotics like gentamicin or streptomycin, diuretics (water pills), cyclosporine (Sandimmune®), digitalis (Lanoxin®), amphotericin B (Abelcet®, Fungizone®), or cisplatin (Platinol®).
- Make sure your doctor knows if you drink alcohol.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor before receiving this medicine.
- Make sure your doctor knows if you have kidney disease.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Flushing or sweating
- Lightheadedness or dizziness, especially when standing up
- Loss of muscle control
- Trouble breathing
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 9/4/2019