Polyethylene glycol 3350 (By mouth)
Polyethylene Glycol (pol-ee-ETH-i-leen GLYE-kol)
Relieves constipation. This medicine is a laxative.
Equate ClearLax, GaviLAX, Gavilax, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Clear Lax, Good Sense ClearLax, Health Mart Clearlax, Healthylax Polyethylene Glycol 3350, Leader ClearLax, MiraLAX, Purelax, TopCare ClearLaxThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to polyethylene glycol.
How to Use This Medicine:
Liquid, Packet, Powder
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- This medicine comes in a bottle and a packet.
- Stir and dissolve one packet in 4 to 8 ounces of liquid and drink it right away. If you are using the bottle, measure the powder with the measuring cap (bottle top). Do not drink if there are any clumps.
- Do not add starch-based thickeners to this medicine.
- It may take 1 or 3 days for this medicine to help you have a bowel movement. Do not use it for more than 7 days unless your doctor has told you to.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease or other stomach or bowel problems (including irritable bowel syndrome).
- Call your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blood in stool, stomach cramps or pain, bloating, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022