Sodium ferric gluconate complex (By injection)
Sodium Ferric Gluconate Complex (SOE-dee-um FER-rik Gloo-koe-nate KOM-plex)
Treats anemia (not enough iron in the blood).
Ferrlecit, PremierPro Rx Ferrlecit, Sodium Ferric Gluconate Complex Sucrose NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to sodium ferric gluconate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some foods and medicines can affect how this medicine works. Tell your doctor if you are also using an iron supplement that you take by mouth.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, or low blood pressure.
- This medicine may cause low blood pressure.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision, severe headache, slow, fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Chest pain that may spread, trouble breathing, nausea, unusual sweating
- Confusion, weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Diarrhea, vomiting, loss of appetite
- Leg cramps or pain
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022