Thyroid (By mouth)
Treats hypothyroidism (the body does not produce enough thyroid hormone).
Armour Thyroid, NP Thyroid, NP Thyroid 120, NP Thyroid 15, NP Thyroid 60, NP Thyroid 90, Nature-Throid, WP Thyroid, WesthroidThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:You should not use this medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to any type of thyroid hormone.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much to take and how often
- Take your medicine at the same time every day.
- Take the medicine on an empty stomach.
If a dose is missed:
- Take your medicine as soon as you remember that you missed a dose.
- Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next dose.
- You should not use two doses at the same time.
How to Store and Dispose of This Medicine:
- Store at room temperature, away from heat and moisture.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- If you are taking cholestyramine (Questran®), take it either 4 hours before or 4 hours after you take levothyroxine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Talk with your doctor before taking this medicine if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, or diabetes.
- Do not stop taking this medicine without first checking with your doctor.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Skin rash or hives with intense itching
- Shortness of breath or trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Severe irritability or nervousness, tremors
- Fast or irregular heartbeat
- Severe diarrhea or intense sweating
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Trouble sleeping
- Appetite changes, weight loss
- Irregular menstrual periods
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/5/2022