Temazepam (By mouth)
Treats insomnia (trouble sleeping).
RestorilThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to temazepam or similar medicines, or if you are pregnant.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Take your medicine as directed. Your dose may need to be changed several times to find what works best for you.
- Take this medicine just before bedtime or when you are having trouble falling asleep. You should not take this medicine if you do not have 7 to 8 hours to sleep or rest before you need to be active again.
- This medicine is not for long-term use.
- This medicine should come with a Medication Guide. Ask your pharmacist for a copy if you do not have one.
- Use this medicine only when you cannot sleep. You do not need to take it on a schedule.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how temazepam works. Tell your doctor if you are using diphenhydramine.
- Tell your doctor if you use anything else that makes you sleepy. Some examples are allergy medicine, narcotic pain medicine, and alcohol.
- Do not drink alcohol while you are using this medicine.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- It is not safe to take this medicine during pregnancy. It could harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor right away if you become pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, lung disease, breathing problems, or a history of alcohol or drug abuse, depression, or mental health problems.
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Increased risk of overdose, which can be life-threatening
- Respiratory depression (serious breathing problem that can be life-threatening), when used with narcotic pain medicines
- Sleep-related behaviors (including sleep-driving, sleep-walking, or having sex, making phone calls, or preparing and eating food while you are asleep or not fully awake)
- Unusual thoughts or behavior
- This medicine may cause dizziness, drowsiness, especially first thing the next morning. It may also cause decreased alertness or trouble with thinking or trouble with controlling body movements, which may lead to falls, fractures, or other injuries. Do not drive or do anything else that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
- This medicine can be habit-forming. Do not use more than your prescribed dose. Call your doctor if you think your medicine is not working.
- Do not stop using this medicine suddenly. Your doctor will need to slowly decrease your dose before you stop it completely.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments. Call your doctor if you still have trouble sleeping after you take this medicine for 7 to 10 days.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blue lips, fingernails, or skin, trouble breathing, chest pain
- Change or loss of consciousness, confusion, problems with coordination or speech, lightheadedness, fainting, unusual drowsiness
- Changes in mood or behavior, depression, nervousness, thoughts or attempts of hurting yourself
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache, dizziness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 3/29/2022