General tips to help with swallowing problems:
- Sit up as straight as possible when you eat.
- Take small bites, less than 1 teaspoon (5 grams) of food per bite.
- Chew well and swallow your food before taking another bite.
- If one side of your face or mouth is weaker, chew food on the stronger side of your mouth.
- Do not mix solid foods with liquids in the same bite.
- Keep mealtime relaxed.
- Do not try to wash down solids with sips of liquids, unless your therapist told you to eat this way.
- Sit upright for 30 to 45 minutes after eating.
- You may need someone to remind you to finish swallowing.
- Do not drink thin liquids without checking with your doctor or therapist first.
- Ask caregivers and family members not to talk to you when you are eating or drinking.
A.D.A.M. content is best viewed in IE9 or above, Firefox and Google Chrome browser.