Liver function testsLFT
Liver function tests are common tests that are used to see how well the liver is working. Tests include:
- Alpha-1 antitrypsin
- Alkaline phosphatase (ALP)
- Alanine aminotransferase (ALT)
- Aspartate aminotransferase (AST)
- Gamma-glutamyl transpeptidase (GGT)
- 5' nucleotidase
- Prothrombin time, also expressed as international normalized ratio (INR)
- Serum bilirubin
- Urine bilirubin
Pincus MR, Abraham NZ. Interpreting laboratory results. In: McPherson RA, Pincus MR, eds. Henry's Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. 23rd ed. St Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2017:chap 8.
Pincus MR, Tierno PM, Gleeson E, Bowne WB, Bluth MH. Evaluation of liver function. In: McPherson RA, Pincus MR, eds. Henry's Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. 23rd ed. St Louis, MO: Elsevier; 2017:chap 21.
Pratt DS. Liver chemistry and function tests. In: Feldman M, Friedman LS, Brandt LJ, eds. Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease. 11th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2021:chap 73.
Liver function tests - illustration
Tests that monitor liver function are usually performed by withdrawing a sample of blood.
Liver function tests
- Cirrhosis(Alt. Medicine)
- Viral hepatitis(Alt. Medicine)
- Alcoholism(Alt. Medicine)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(In-Depth)
- Alcohol use disorders(In-Depth)
- Diabetes - type 1(In-Depth)
- Colorectal cancer(Alt. Medicine)
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin)(Alt. Medicine)
- Vitamins and Phytonutrients(In-Depth)
Review Date: 8/13/2020
Reviewed By: Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.