Methanol poisoningWood alcohol poisoning
Methanol is a nondrinking type of alcohol used for industrial and automotive purposes. This article discusses poisoning from an overdose of methanol.
This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposure. If you or someone you are with has an exposure, call the local emergency number (such as 911), or the local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States.
Methanol is found in:
Antifreeze is a liquid used to cool engines. It is also called engine coolant. This article discusses poisoning caused by swallowing antifreeze. Th...Read Article Now Book Mark Article
- Canned heating sources
- Copy machine fluids
- De-icing fluid
- Fuel additives (octane boosters)
- Paint remover or thinner
Shellac poisoning can occur from swallowing shellac. This article is for information only. DO NOT use it to treat or manage an actual poison exposur...Read Article Now Book Mark Article
Varnish is a clear liquid that is used as coating on woodwork and other products. Varnish poisoning occurs when someone swallows varnish. It is a m...Read Article Now Book Mark Article
- Windshield wiper fluid
Note: This list may not be all-inclusive.
Symptoms may include:
Airway and lungs:
- Breathing difficulty
- No breathing
- Blindness, complete or partial, sometimes described as "snow blindness"
- Blurred vision
There are many types of eye problems and vision disturbances, such as: Halos Blurred vision (the loss of sharpness of vision and the inability to see...Read Article Now Book Mark Article
- Dilation (widening) of the pupils
Heart and blood:
- Low blood pressure
- Agitated behavior
Agitation is an unpleasant state of extreme arousal. An agitated person may feel stirred up, excited, tense, confused, or irritable.Read Article Now Book Mark Article
- Coma (unresponsiveness)
- Difficulty walking
Skin and nails:
- Bluish-colored lips and fingernails (cyanosis)
Stomach and intestines:
- Abdominal pain (severe)
- Liver problems, including jaundice (yellow skin) and bleeding
- Pancreatitis (nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain)
- Vomiting, sometimes bloody
- Leg cramps
- Yellow skin (jaundice)
Seek immediate medical help. DO NOT make a person throw up unless told to do so by Poison Control or a health care professional.
Before Calling Emergency
The following information is helpful for emergency assistance:
- Person's age, weight, and condition
- Name of the product (ingredients and strength, if known)
- Time it was swallowed
- Amount swallowed
However, DO NOT delay calling for help if this information is not immediately available.
Your local poison control center can be reached directly by calling the national toll-free Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the United States. This national hotline will let you talk to experts in poisoning. They will give you further instructions.
Poison control center
For a POISON EMERGENCY call:1-800-222-1222ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATESThis national hotline number will let you talk to experts in poisoning. This ...Read Article Now Book Mark Article
This is a free and confidential service. All local poison control centers in the United States use this national number. You should call if you have any questions about poisoning or poison prevention. It does NOT need to be an emergency. You can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Expect at the Emergency Room
The health care provider will measure and monitor the person's vital signs, including temperature, pulse, breathing rate, and blood pressure. The person may receive:
- Activated charcoal
- Airway support, including oxygen, breathing tube through the mouth (intubation), and breathing machine (ventilator)
- Blood and urine tests including a blood methanol level
- Chest x-ray
- CT (computerized axial tomography) scan
- EKG (electrocardiogram, or heart tracing)
- Fluids through a vein (intravenous or IV)
- Medicines to treat symptoms, including antidotes to reverse the effect of the poison (fomepizole or ethanol)
- Tube through the nose to remove remaining poison, if the person is seen within 60 minutes after swallowing it
Because rapid removal of methanol is a key to treatment success and survival, the person will likely need dialysis (kidney machine).
Methanol is extremely poisonous. As little as 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) can be deadly to a child. About 2 to 8 ounces (60 to 240 milliliters) can be deadly for an adult. Blindness is common and often permanent despite medical care. Intake of methanol affects multiple organs. Organ damage may be permanent. How well the person does depends on how much poison is swallowed and how soon treatment is received.
Bluth MH, Pincus MR, Abraham NZ. Toxicology and therapeutic drug monitoring. In: McPherson RA, Pincus MR, eds. Henry's Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods. 24th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2022:chap 24.
Nelson ME. Toxic alcohols. In: Walls RM, ed. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 10th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2023:chap 136.
Theobald JL, Kostic MA. Poisoning. In: Kliegman RM, St. Geme JW, Blum NJ, Shah SS, Tasker RC, Wilson KM, eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 21st ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2020:chap 77.
Review Date: 1/2/2023
Reviewed By: Jesse Borke, MD, CPE, FAAEM, FACEP, Attending Physician at Kaiser Permanente, Orange County, CA. Also reviewed by David C. Dugdale, MD, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.