Muscular dystrophy - resourcesResources - muscular dystrophy
The following organizations are good resources for information on muscular dystrophy:
Muscular dystrophy is a group of inherited disorders that cause muscle weakness and loss of muscle tissue, which get worse over time.Read Article Now Book Mark Article
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/musculardystrophy/facts.html
- Genetic and Rare Diseases Information Center -- rarediseases.info.nih.gov/diseases/7922/muscular-dystrophy
- Muscular Dystrophy Association -- www.mda.org
- National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke -- www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Muscular-Dystrophy-Information-Page
- Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy -- www.parentprojectmd.org
- US National Library of Medicine, MedlinePlus -- medlineplus.gov/musculardystrophy.html
Muscular atrophy - illustration
Muscular atrophy is the decrease in size and wasting of muscle tissue. Muscles that lose their nerve supply can atrophy and simply waste away.
Review Date: 11/12/2022
Reviewed By: Jennifer K. Mannheim, ARNP, Medical Staff, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David C. Dugdale, MD, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.